HelpAge International invites interested consultant(s)
- Category : Baseline Consultancy
- Posted Date : 02/13/2022
- E-mail : email@example.com
- Source : Reporter
- Closing Date : 02/28/2022
Invitation to conduct final evaluation of “Better Health for Older People in Africa – Needs-based and inclusive health care for older people and people with disabilities in Ethiopia” project
HelpAge International is a global network of organisations working towards a fairer world for older people so they can live safe, healthy, and dignified lives. In addition to working with more than 158 network members in 86 countries, HelpAge operates country programme offices in 13 countries across Asia, Africa, Middle East, and Eastern Europe. HelpAge International (HAI) is operative in Ethiopia since 1992 and works to promote the right of older women and men to the best attainable health, nutrition, and care services enabling them to lead dignified secured and healthy lives.
“Needs-based and inclusive health care for older people and people with disabilities in Ethiopia” is a gender, age and disability inclusive project designed to directly benefit 200,000 older people and people with disability within three years implementation period commenced in December 2018. In support of achieving the broader project goal, it seeks to achieve the following one broader outcome and five Outputs:
- Objective and Scope of work
The main objective of the evaluation is to assess the performance of the project and capture project achievements, challenges, and best practises to inform future similar programming. The evaluation will also ensure accountability towards BMZ (BMZ (Bundesministerium für wirtschaftliche Zusammenarbeit und Entwicklung) as a donor and the beneficiaries of the program. On the other hand, it offers a learning aspect for all stakeholders involved in the project implementation. The evaluation will also identify key lessons learned, challenges and the flexibility of the programme to adapt and respond to the changes and sustainability of the project gains in 14 districts targeted by the project ((Melka soda, Bulle hora, Yabello, Adamitulu, Bokoji, Dodola, Robe Dida), five are in SNNPR (Welayta Sodo, Boona, Leku, Dilla, Yirgacheffe) and two are in Addis Ababa (Addis Ketema sub city district 4 and 10)
- In light of the above, the consultant(s) will submit; Inception Report (IR) detailing in-ter alia proposed work plan, methodology that will be agreed upon between the consultant and HelpAge.
- Data collection tools: Develop the data collection tools and have them approved by HelpAge International and partners before data collection, analysis, interpretation.
- Draft Evaluation report: The firm/consultant will prepare a draft evaluation report with details of findings, recommendations and lessons learnt for review/discussion by HelpAge International.
- Validation workshop: Hold a validation workshop/meeting with relevant HelpAge programme staff and stakeholders as part of the validation and feedback.
- Revise the draft report based on the feedback.
- Final Evaluation report: A consolidated final evaluation report, which compares and expounds the project performance.
- Provide HelpAge with all data. This will be both in electronic and hard copy (MS Word document, PowerPoint slides).
NB: The report content should include the standard cover sheet; executive summary; Introduction, description of study purpose, objectives and scope, study methodology and limitations; study findings, conclusions and recommendations, appendices, and references.
- Evaluation Timeline and cost
The consultant is expected to indicate the number of days for the evaluation in line with his/her proposed methodology. The evaluation is expected to start in the first week of May 2022 and the final evaluation report presented not later than end of June 2022, however preliminary works may begin earlier such as development of the tools and review of the final evaluation study design. Payment will be based on submission of deliverables that are satisfactory and have been assessed by the HelpAge team to be of good quality. Taxation laws will apply on the overall consultancy fee where necessary.
The following payments will be paid to the firm/consultant using an agreed mode of payment.
- 30% of the contract value after the submission and approval of the inception report
- 30% of the contract value after the submission and approval of the Interim Draft Evaluation report
- 40% of the contract value after the submission and approval of Final Evaluation Re-port
- Qualifications and Experience Required
To accomplish the objectives of the study, the consulting firm/Consultant should have a multidisciplinary team with key qualifications and competencies as follows.
A Postgraduate degree in a relevant humanitarian and development work related to Public Health, Social Science, Development Studies, Sociology, Project Management, or Monitoring and Evaluation.
- Minimum of 10 years of relevant extensive expertise, knowledge, and experience in the field of inclusive health care, NCDs programs, Eye Health, community-based projects, aid effectiveness and aid management process related issues.
- Proven experience in undertaking evaluation/research or leading evaluation/research teams, with outstanding skills in qualitative and quantitative research and data analysis using relevant software such as STATA, CSPro or SPSS.
- Understanding of health issues relating to ageing, disability, and other specific vulnerabilities especially for older people in Ethiopia contexts.
- Experience of project formulation and evaluation and practical experience of end of project evaluation in Ethiopia or in similar context; At least 10 years of experience in working with international organizations and donors, evaluating projects with multiple partners with complex implementation modalities; and specifically, experience in the evaluation of Germen Government funded projects.
- Excellent written and verbal Communication skills in English; Experience of local Ethiopian language including oromifa will be and added advantage
- Impartiality towards HelpAge and its partners in Ethiopia.
- Special attention will be given to evaluation teams of international and local consultants with gender balance considered. It will also factor positively into the candidate selection if the applicant(s) plans to cooperate with research institutions such as universities.
- . Application Procedure
Interested Evaluators/entities are invited to submit an Expression of Interest for delivery of the assignment. The concise Expression of Interest shall include:
- A cover letter: A short cover letter addressing the selection criteria above.
- Narrative proposal including a proposed methodology and any comments on the evaluation terms of reference. A clear work plan including output/deliverable and time frame for each stage of the project shall be included in the expression of interest. (Max. 10 pages without annexes)
- Financial proposal: The financial proposal should provide cost estimates for services rendered among them daily consultancy fees including accommodation, stationeries, and supplies needed for data collection etc.Data collection and data processing costs should also be included in the consultant’s fee
- CV of the lead consultant as well as members outlining the academic background and relevant experience shall be submitted as Annexes.
- Contact information for 2 professional references (for every member of the evaluation team) shall be provided for reference Check.
- Selection of the consultants will be done by a HelpAge International recruitment committee. The selection will take place based on the competences and experience of the consultants, the quality and relevance of the expression of interest, and the proposed budget. The shortlisted applicants will be requested to present their proposal for the team. Final negotiated fees will be specified in the consultancy contract.
Applicants are requested to submit their EoIs in one PDF document. Request for detailed TOR will be accepted firstname.lastname@example.org.
The deadline for submission is midnight February 28, 2022. Please submit your application to email@example.com. For content-related questions regarding the evaluation work, Serkalem Girma (Health program Manager) can be contacted (serkalem.girma @helpage.org)