The Federalism and Diversity Management Policy Study Center under PSI would like to employ three potential individual consultants
- Category : Baseline Consultancy
- Posted Date : 05/01/2022
- Source : Reporter
- Closing Date : 05/13/2022
CALL FOR CONSULTANCY
THE FEDERAL DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF ETHIOPIA POLICY STUDY INSTITUTE
The Federalism and Diversity Management Policy Study Center under PSI would like to employ three potential individual consultants who can work jointly with the Center to conduct a nationwide research entitled “The Making and Re-making of Administrative Regions in Modern Ethiopia: Policy Changes, Continuities and the Way Forward.”
TERM OF REFERENCE (TOR)
One of the major threats of the Ethiopian federal system is boundary related conflict between regional states. Boundary problems created between regions have been affecting the stability of the country in general and the relationship among regional states in particular. Such conflicts often emanate from the policies and underling principles on which administrative units at all levels were organized. Thus, the study attempts to investigate the pattern of policy changes and continuities on which administrative units at all levels were organized across the country. Nevertheless, since recurrent boundary problems are observed at higher administrative tires or between regions, the study will focus on assessing how regional states were formed and how their boundaries are delimited and demarcated. Temporally, the study will cover the period from 1907 when the Ministry of Interior was established to control the function of administrative regions up to 1995 when the existing constitution was enacted and administrative regions were formed. Geographically, except Mekelle all regional capitals and two city administrations and centers of the former governorate generals and provinces are selected for this study.
Objectives of the Research
This research has intended to meet the following objectives:
- To identify the major policy rationales which were used by the Imperial, Military and EPRDF regimes to establish administrative regions.
- To assess the challenges that the Ethiopian people faced during the Imperial, Military and EPRDF regimes as a result of policies on which administrative regions were set up.
- To evaluate the contribution of the administrative policies of the Imperial, Military and EPRDF regimes to the socio-economic development, peaceful co-existence and freedom of movement of Nations, Nationalities and peoples of different regions.
- To explain the needs of the Ethiopian people for policy changes on the existing administrative regions.
- To initiate accommodative underling principles for administrative policy makers in which long-lasting administrative regions will be formed in Ethiopia.
To meet the objectives of the study, a qualitative approach will be employed. Primary and secondary sources of data will be collected through document analysis, key in-formant interview and in-depth interview data collecting tools. Sample size will be determined based on sampling techniques representing all capital cities in the country which has served as an administrative seat for a Teqlay Gizat, Province or Region during the Imperial, Military and EPRDF regimes respectively.
Job Description (Activities)
- Develop a full-fledged proposal including budget breakdown(the budget should be planned according to government rate)
- Develop data collection tools (qualitative)
- Present the proposal and data collection tools in the presence of the client (Policy Study Institute))
- Incorporate feedbacks from the consultative meeting on proposal and data collection tools
- Prepare training manual for data collectors
- Give training for the data collectors
- Supervise field data collection
- Develop draft analysis of findings
- Present the draft analysis of field data on validation workshop
- Incorporate feedback from the workshop on the draft analysis
- Present the final research finding in a closing workshop
- Submit the final analysis
- Develop brief summary of findings and recommendation in Amharic language
- Develop policy brief (policy document) in Amharic language
- Inception report
- Full-fledged Proposal
- Data collection tools
- Data collectors training manual
- First draft of the field data analysis
- Second draft of the field data analysis
- Final version of the field data analysis
- Brief summary of the research findings and recommendations for policy makers consumption in Amharic language
- Policy brief in Amharic language
Qualification for consultants
|Specialization of Researchers||Qualification||Position||Required Number|
|Political Geography Expert||PhD||Lead researcher||1|
|Federalism Expert||PhD||Lead researcher||1|
|Political/Administrative History Expert||PhD||Lead researcher||1|
Applicants for the lead researcher position should have terminal degree in Political/Human Geography, Federalism/Governance, and Administrative/Political History. Applicants should have teaching and research experiences in government universities or from research institutions.
NB: Prior consultancy experiences in Policy Study Institute (PSI) is valuable
Professional fee: will be as per the rate of Policy Study Institute
Duration: Consultants should accomplish every deliverable within three months as of the date of agreement.
Applicants should submit their CV and credentials in person to the Office of Human Resource Development Directorate Director at the Policy Study Institute, in front of national stadium, next to Betezata Hospital in ten consecutive working days following the announcement in newspaper.