German Foundation for World Population (DSW) is seeking an external consulting firm to conduct a multilayered ASRH budget and expenditure analysis in the national and two districts
- Category : Baseline Consultancy
- Posted Date : 12/24/2022
- Source : Reporter
- Closing Date : 01/06/2023
Background and Project Description
German Foundation for World Population (DSW) is a global development organization that focuses on the needs and potential of the largest youth generation in history. We are committed to creating demand for and access to health information, services, supplies, and economic empowerment for youth. We achieve this by engaging in advocacy, capacity development, and reproductive health initiatives so that young people are empowered to lead healthy and selfdetermined lives.
DSW has been working in Ethiopia for more than two decades focusing on adolescent and young people’s sexual and reproductive health programs in collaboration with government, international and local partners at different levels.
DSW Ethiopia through a consortium led by MSI Reproductive Choices has received funding from the European Union (EU) to implement the Youth 4 Health Project (Y4H) in 6 countries, including Ethiopia, Kenya, Tanzania in east Africa, Zambia in South Africa, and Sierra Leone and Ghana in west Africa. The project aims at Expanding Access to LifeChanging Adolescent Sexual and Reproductive Healthcare and improving enabling policy and domestic resource mobilization in the target countries.
It is against this background that DSW Ethiopia is seeking an external consulting firm to conduct a multilayered ASRH budget and expenditure analysis in the national and two districts of the Oromia and SNNP regions (Shashemene and Wonago). In addition, the consulting firm is expected to develop a new budget and expenditure tracking framework for DSW that fits ASRH.
OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY Main Objective
The main objective of the consultancy service is to conduct the baseline budget study using the appropriate framework at the national, regional and district level and develop a new DSW budget and expenditure tracking framework that fits for ASRH.
Specifically, the study will:
- 1. To Conduct budget and expenditure analysis of Adolescent Sexual Reproductive Health (ASRH) program using the appropriate budget study framework at national, regional and district level.
- To Identify potential areas for domestic resource mobilization and Recommend Advocacy target for ASRH budget increment.
- To adopt DSW global budget and public expenditure tracking framework that fits for ASRH.
The consulting firm is expected to conduct a budget study of ASRH programs at national, regional and the target districts using the appropriate framework that shows how budgets are designed, allocated, and used. Moreover, develop a new DSW ASRH budget tracking framework that can align with different government policies, strategies, and guidelines without compromising the expected outcome. The study will mainly focus on quantitative and qualitative data which include document reviews, policies, and strategies of ASRH, annual work plans, fiscal space, allocation, release and expenditure, and extraction of ASRH data from data management systems at respective different government sectors. for triangulation, key informant interviews (KIIs) at a national, regional and district level will be employed and Focus Group Discussion (FGD) at the service delivery level will be used. Upon the consultant’s recommendation, it may consider other approaches to ensure that report is authentic.
The Scope of work
- a) Geographic scope: The budget analysis approach is a multilayered ASRHR budget analysis that targets one national/regional and two district r The budget study will consider national and regional level stakeholders and institutions including but not limited to:
- Ministry of Health (women, Child, and youth Affairs directorate),
- Ministry of Finance (state minister of fiscal policy and public finance),
- The parliament (budget and finance affairs standing committee, health, social development, Culture, and youth affairs and women Parliamentarians)
And at the regional level, government structures to the woreda level will be followed. respective sectors at each government structure will be considered. That means the final target study districts will be Shashemene from Oromia and Wonago from SNNP region, where the project intervention districts are. Three budget study reports will be generated (one at the national/regional level and two at the district level i.e., Shashemene and Wonago woredas).
- b) Periodic scope: The budget study is a multiyear study that aims to show budget allocation increment due to the budget Advocacy measures taken by the project throughout the project period i.e…, (2023 through 2025). However, this study’s scope is to conduct a baseline study for the project. The fiscal year included in the baseline study will be the budget allocation for FY year 2022/23 (for ASRH budget allocation), and public expenditures for ASRH analysis for FY 2021/22. c) Time scope: The consultant will provide all final deliverables latest by 28 Feb 2023.
Therefore, the technical proposal should provide a realistic work plan giving each deliverable a specific last submission date.
|Activity 1: Developing and submitting inception report that included detail work plan to DSW Ethiopia with refined methodology and data collection tools.|
|● The consulting firm will develop an inception report, demonstrating an understanding of the study with a detailed fieldwork plan on how s/he will carry out the activities to achieve the study objectives.
● In close consultation with DSW Ethiopia staff, the consulting firm will review and revise the new DSW’s budget and policy analysis framework that is to be used during the budget study.
|Activity 2: Recruiting, orienting, and training experienced data collectors.|
|● The consulting firm will recruit and train data collectors on using the data collection tools and the data collection process.|
|Activity 3: Collection and analysis of initial data|
|● The consulting firm will lead the data collection at the national, regional and district levels.
● The consulting firm will review and analyse collected information at national/regional and district levels.
● This will involve entering the budget data in the approved ASRH budget analysis framework and analyzing the qualitative information generated from health facility assessments, KIIs, FGDs, or any other approved analysis tools by DSW Ethiopia.
● The consulting firm will analyze and develop a draft report based on the collected
information. DSW Ethiopia and relevant stakeholders will review the draft report.
The consulting firm will be responsible for the budget study. The primary duties of the consulting firm will include;
|Activity 4: Data validation|
|● The consultant, with the support of DSW Ethiopia, will engage in the validation workshop that will be organized by DSW Ethiopia and present the report findings to the relevant government officials at national, regional and district levels to validate the budget study findings.
● The validation meeting will help to address any data gaps, promote quality assurance and ensure that the final report will have stakeholder ownership and acceptance for practical use
|Activity 5: Final Report and specific deliverables|
|● The consulting firm will incorporate the feedback from the validation workshop, DSW Ethiopia, the designated partners and stakeholders and submit a final ASRH budget analysis report (one national and two district reports).
● The consulting firm will also submit final datasets and relevant input for the
development of infographics.
● Specific deliverables:
Final budget analysis reports, one for national/regional and two for district
(Shashemene and Wonago)
ASRH budget analysis framework
Validation workshop report
Key Identified ASRH budget advocacy issues, potential target for domestic resource mobilization and institutions for ASRH budget fiscal space increment advocacy.
Data collection and analysis Tools for the budget study
In addition to the TOR, the selected consulting firm is expected to come up with suggestions/ideas that suits to the national and regional context
The selected consulting firm must possess the following qualifications:
– Be a consulting firm with a team of expertise Possess knowledge and experience in budget analysis frameworks for evidencebased advocacy.
– Experience and knowledge in the Ethiopia Budgeting, allocation and expenditure.
– Demonstrable knowledge and experience working in the areas of Sexual reproductive health, especially at local, national, and international levels is desirable
– Knowledge of designing research frameworks, methodologies and tools for budget
based data collection and analyses
– Similar work in the last three years (provide a sample copy of recent reports).
Particularly in Ethiopia context.
– A demonstrated high professionalism and ability to work independently and in highpressure situations under tight deadlines.
– High proficiency in written and spoken English is required. Knowledge of the local languages is an added advantage.
– consulting firm under the set of legal provisions or under any valid legal cover
– Have a commitment to meet the deadline.
Interested firms or individuals are requested to submit a bid dossier. The dossier and any inquiries shall be submitted through email to dsw[email protected] and cc to meskerem[email protected] with in ten (10) working days from the date of this announcement with the title “DSW ASRH Budget Analysis consultancy” in the subject line. The bid dossier should contain the following:
Understanding and interpretation of the TOR
Refined Methodology to be used in undertaking the assignment
Time and activity schedule
- The budget break down should be in ETB
Organizational and Personnel Capacity Statement
Relevant experience related to the assignment (including financial scope)
Contacts of organizations previously worked
Curriculum Vitae of proposed team members
A sample copy of a recent study or research report conducted, especially in budget analysis for ASRH