SNV is looking for consultant firms.
- Category : Baseline Consultancy
- Posted Date : 03/21/2021
- E-mail : email@example.com
- Source : Reporter
- Closing Date : 03/26/2021
INVITATION FOR CONSULTANCY FIRMS
Consultant: Supporting Africa to be Climate and Natural Resources Smart (SUCCESS)
- Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- Contract type: Short term consultancy contract
SNV is a not-for-profit international development Organisation that applies practical know-how to make a lasting difference in the lives of people living in poverty. We use our extensive and long-term in-country presence to apply and adapt our top-notch expertise in agriculture, energy and WASH to local contexts. SNV has over 1,300 staff in more than 25 countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. We are proud to be a not-for-profit Organisation that uses project financing to implement our mission. This requires us to work efficiently and to invest in operational excellence.
In its new Strategic Plan period (2019 – 2022), SNV will more explicitly aim for systems change during project preparation and implementation by strengthening institutions and kick-starting markets that help many more to escape poverty beyond our projects. We will continue to position ourselves as a premium Organisation and invest in making knowledge flow to and from the frontline.
Our Climate and Business Product builds on SNV’s extensive experience working with the private sector and provides an approach to support agri- and energy-businesses to increase productivity and incomes, in a way that responds to growing climate risks. This requires transforming the overall functioning of the agriculture and energy sectors, the relationships within them and the technologies adopted. To drive the sectors towards more climate smart outcomes requires a conducive enabling environment and innovative finance. Our interventions help to kick-start markets and leverage finance, providing lasting climate solutions at scale. Our growing portfolio of work offers demonstrable climate smart business cases that can be further adopted and scaled by others. Our Climate and Business Product builds on SNV’s extensive experience working with the private sector and provides an approach to support agri- and energy-businesses to increase productivity and incomes, in a way that responds to growing climate risks. This requires transforming the overall functioning of the agriculture and energy sectors, the relationships within them and the technologies adopted. To drive the sectors towards more climate smart outcomes requires a conducive enabling environment and innovative finance. Our interventions help to kick-start markets and leverage finance, providing lasting climate solutions at scale. Our growing portfolio of work offers demonstrable climate smart business cases that can be further adopted and scaled by others.
For more information on SNV, visit our website: www.snv.org
Background of the program
Supporting Africa to be Climate and Natural Resources Smart (SUCCESS), funded by the FCDO, aims to improve the adaptive capacity of African countries and communities, especially the poorest, to respond to and prepare for the effects of climate change. The programme budget will be £250 million over 5 years with the potential to expand to 10 years.
The programme aims to address cross border challenges in areas at the forefront of the climate and poverty agenda:
- Reducing resource degradation by improving water, land and forest management
- Increasing opportunity to build climate change into key sectoral decisions by improving use and generation of climate and weather information
- Generating sustainable growth and wellbeing by facilitating low carbon development
- Supporting local capacities (institutional, technical, financial) to build regional resilience to climate and natural resource risks.
The geographic scope is Africa-wide and covers:
- Egypt, Senegal, Mauritania, Mali, Burkina Faso, Niger, Ghana, Liberia, Cote d’Ivoire, Benin, Chad, Ethiopia, Somalia, Cameroon, Congo, DR Congo, Central AfricanRepublic, South Sudan, Kenya, Burundi, Rwanda, Uganda, Tanzania, Malawi, Tanzania, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Madagascar, and South Africa (SNV countries in bold).
The FCDO shared the Early Market Engagement Slide Deck with suppliers in March 2020 so we await further details on the planned design and delivery mechanisms and model. However, we strongly suspect that the FCDO will use a Technical Assistance Facility (TAF) to call-down on a consultant’s roster to deliver technical assistance on a demand basis at the request of country governments.
Categorization of consultant
Programme Leadership/ Programme Management/ Technical Advisory
Internationally recognized expert in their field with exceptional knowledge of the subject area and extensive sectoral and / or regional expertise. Will have outstanding capabilities to conceptualize, design, and deliver complex interventions in a timely fashion. It is expected that an advanced individual will have a minimum of 15 years professional experience relevant to their field.
Exceptional knowledge of the subject area with extensive sectoral and / or regional expertise and proven ability to translate theory into practice. Will have proven capability to undertake team leader functions and provide quality assurance of the work of other team members. It is expected that a standard individual will have a minimum of 10 years professional experience relevant to their field.
Thorough theoretical knowledge of the subject area with proven ability to translate theory into practice. Will have proven capability to provide quality assurance of the work of other team members. Will have recognized, independently verified qualifications, i.e. through professional body membership. It is expected that an entry level individual will have a minimum of 5 years professional experience relevant to their field.
- Experience operating within donor-funded programmes, particularly the FCDO
- Track record in any or more of Climate related fields (adaptation and resilience), including, but not limited to:
- Sustainable Energy, Renewable Energy, Low Carbon Energy, Energy Efficiency
- Natural Resource Management
- Sustainable agriculture/climate smart agriculture including management of landscapes and protection of ecosystems for climate resilience and diversity
- Climate finance/Green Finance (such as RE Finance, EE finance, agricultural finance)
- Sustainable infrastructure
- Transboundary water management
- Disaster management
- Expertise in capacity building in any of the above area(s) must be in developing and emerging markets/countries
- Strong expertise in building and managing relationships with high-level stakeholders
- Knowledge and experience in attracting finance at scale for climate-related investments, piloting innovative approaches
- Knowledge and networks within the private sector
- Experience in policy advice on the introduction of carbon taxes
- Experience supporting national and city governments on design and implementation of low carbon policies and investments (in sectors such as energy, transport, and urban design)
Working at SNV
SNV offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package. We offer a challenging work environment, opportunities to lead and innovate, and a commitment to growing your skills in a fulfilling and diverse working environment. Our staff benefit from, and contribute to, an internal global network of experts.
How to Apply
If you believe that your credentials meet the outlined profile, we invite you to apply by submitting your CV, letter of motivation to SNV Ethiopia with hard copy at front desk of SNV office /or by email via firstname.lastname@example.org on /before 26th March 2021
All information will be in the strictest confidence. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
We will require that you provide us with full details of three people who are willing to act as a referee. We will not contact these referees without your explicit permission.
Should SNV wish to proceed with your application, two interviews with the Selection Committee will take place.
Please indicate in your application letter for which location and position you apply as well as your expected start date.
We do not appreciate third-party mediation based on this advertisement
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia