The Democracy and Rule of Law Policy Study Center at PSI would like to employ two potential consultants
- Category : Baseline Consultancy
- Posted Date : 11/21/2022
- Source : Reporter
- Closing Date : 11/25/2022
A CALL FOR CONSULTANCY SERVICE
THE POLICY STUDY INSTITUTE (PSI)
THE FEDERAL DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF ETHIOPIA
TERM OF REFERENCE (TOR)
The Democracy and Rule of Law Policy Study Center at PSI would like to employ two potential consultants (one lead researcher, and one Research Assistant/Researcher) who can work jointly with the center to conduct nationwide research entitled “Constitutional Interpretation in Ethiopia: Practice and Challenges.”
Since the coming into force of the federal and regional constitutions, several binding interpretations have been given both at the federal and regional levels. However, while there have been debates on the approach of interpretation adopted by the federal constitution, constitutional interpretation has not been the required due attention. Even the debates on the federal constitution have been limited to the appropriateness of giving power to the House of the Federation, and its scope of power. However, an assessment of the almost three decades-old constitutional interpretation, both at the federal and federating units’ level, has not been done yet comprehensively. Thus, the scope of this study is to explore the practice of constitutional interpretation both at the federal and regional levels, analyze the challenges facing it and produce practical recommendations to redress it.
- Objectives of the Research
The specific objectives of the research are:
- To explore the trends of constitutional interpretation both in the federal and regional constitutional systems;
- To establish the challenges the various stakeholders (for example, the House of the Federation, the Council of Constitutional Inquiry, Courts, and the other users) are facing in a constitutional interpretation process; and,
- To provide a way forwards to boost the performance of constitutional interpretation both in the federal and regional constitutional system
Subject to a discussion that will be made with the consultants, this study will be conducted through a qualitative technique. Hence, as necessary, the common qualitative data collection tools: interview, key informant interview, focus group discussion, document analysis and survey will be used to collect field data.
- Job Description (Activities)
The following will be the responsibilities of the consultants:-
- Finalize the research proposal
- Develop the necessary data collection tools
- Prepare training manual for data collectors
- Train data collectors
- Supervise field data collection
- Develop draft analysis of findings
- Present the draft analysis on a validation workshop
- Incorporate feedback from the workshop on the draft analysis
- Present the final research finding in a closing workshop
- Submit the final analysis
- Develop a summary of findings and recommendations in Amharic language
- Develop policy brief (policy document) in Amharic language
- Develop at least one publishable journal article either in Amharic or English language
- Inception report
- Revised Full-fledged Proposal
- Data collection tools
- Data collectors training manual
- First draft of the field data analysis
- Second draft of the field data analysis
- Final version of the field data analysis
- Brief summary of the research findings and recommendations for policymakers’ consumption in Amharic language
- Policy brief in Amharic language
- One publishable journal article
- Qualification for consultants
|Specialization of Researchers||Qualification||Position||Required Number|
|Constitutional Law, Federalism||PhD||Lead researcher||1|
|Constitutional Law, Federalism||LL.M. and above||Research Assistant/ Researcher||1|
Applicants for the lead researcher position should have a terminal degree in the field of constitutional law or federalism. The prospective consultant must be someone who has published at least five manuscripts on the subject and done his/her PhD dissertation on the subject matter of this research agenda. Similarly, the research assistant or researcher has also published at least once on the subject and written his/her LL.M. thesis on the subject matter of this research agenda.
Applicants for both positions should have teaching and research experiences in government universities or he/she can also be a researcher in research institutions or worked for institutions involved in the constitutional interpretation.
NB: A prior consultancy experience in Policy Study Institute (PSI) would be beneficial.
- Service fee
It is as per the Institute’s scale.
Consultants should accomplish every deliverable by 30 June 2023.
- Application Submission
Applicants should submit their CV and credentials in person to the Office of Human Resource Development Directorate Director at the Policy Study Institute, in front of the national stadium, next to Betezata Hospital for five consecutive working days following its announcement in newspapers.